Pissaladière is a French variation on the classic Italian pizza. Make your own homemade dough and top with onions, olives and anchovies – delicious!
Prep time: 55 mins
Cooking time: 50 mins
Total time: 1 hr 45 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
For the dough:
- 250g (8oz) strong white bread flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp easy-blend yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the topping:
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 800g (1lb 10oz) onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 16 green and black olives
- 100g jar anchovies, drained from oil
- Baking sheet, oiled
- To make the dough: Put the flour, salt, yeast, sugar and oil in a bowl. Gradually add 150ml (¼ pint) warm water to make a soft dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface for 10 mins, until smooth and springy.
- Put dough into an oiled bowl, cover and leave in a warm place for 45 mins, until it has doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, to make the topping: Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the onions. Stir them well to coat in the oil, cover and cook very gently for 20 mins, turning as needed, until they’re tender and sweet. Remove the lid and cook for 10 more mins, making sure that the onions just soften and not brown.
- Stir in the garlic and thyme leaves, season and cook for a few more mins. Set the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7.
- Punch back the risen dough, tip it on to a floured work surface and knead it briefly. Roll out to a rectangle measuring about 33 x 30cm (13 x 12in). Transfer to the baking sheet.
- Spread the cooked onions over the dough and top with the olives and anchovies. Bake for 15-20 mins, until the base is firm and golden around the edges. Serve warm, cut into squares.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.