A great picnic snack of ham, gem lettuces, pickle and cheese sandwiched in a cholla loaf. This is quite a substantial snack and one loaf feeds 4-8 people.
Prep time: 15 mins
Total time: 15 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 1 round cholla loaf
- 6 tbs mayonnaise
- 200g (7oz) Cheddar cheese, sliced
- 4 tbs pickle (we used Branston Original pickle)
- 2 Little Gem lettuces, leaves separated
- 4 slices ham
- Cut the cholla loaf into 3 horizontally and spread each layer with mayonnaise. Arrange the cheese slices on the bottom layer, spread with pickle and top with lettuce leaves.
- Put the middle layer of cholla on top and press down. Arrange the ham slices on that. Replace the top of the loaf.
- Push 4 wooden skewers into the loaf to hold it together. Wrap it well in a large sheet of greaseproof paper and then foil. Take a bread knife with you to cut it up.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.