A great way to use your pumpkin from you Halloween lantern-making. This is still a great jam today since we first published it in Woman’s Weekly in October 1926.
Makes: 3 jars
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 24 hrs 20 mins
Total time: 24 hrs 50 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 1 pumpkin (or butternut squash), peeled, deseeded and chopped into fairly small cubes to each 500g (1lb) prepared pumpkin/squash add:
- 500g (1lb) granulated sugar
- 30g (1oz) fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- Zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- Weigh the prepared pumpkin, put into a large bowl and add the sugar. Leave for about 24 hrs.
- Put the pumpkin into a preserving pan. Add the grated ginger straight into the mixture and the strained lemon juice. (Set aside the zest for later.)
- Cook slowly over a low heat until the sugar dissolves, then bring to the boil. Add the lemon zest and boil until it reaches setting point. It may take about 15-20 mins.
- Leave the preserve for 20-30 mins before potting into warm, sterilised jars, seal and label. Serve with toast or on teacakes