Quinoa is a healthy, wheat-free grain that’s perfect in salads. Just add some delicious grilled Halloumi cheese, mint, yogurt and pitta bread for a quick dinner
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 100g (3½oz) quinoa, rinsed
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 baby plum tomatoes, halved
- 125g (4oz) halloumi cheese
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A good handful of mint leaves
- Pitta breads and yogurt, to serve
- Put the quinoa in a pan with 300ml (½ pint) cold water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 mins until the water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat the grill and put the onion slices on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with the cumin seeds and 1 tbsp oil. Grill for 5 mins, stir, then add the tomatoes and cook until they are just softened.
- Cut the cheese into 6 thin slices. Cook them on a hot griddle pan, or under the grill, for about a minute on each side.
- Drain the quinoa, stir in the grilled tomatoes and onions and all the cooking juices on the baking sheet, along with another tbsp of oil, the vinegar and seasoning. Spoon into a bowl. Shred the mint leaves into the salad and stir in carefully. Arrange the cheese on top. Serve with pitta breads and yogurt.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.