Tangy rhubarb encased in a sweet almond pastry case – a treat for all the family!
Prep time: 35 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr
Total time: 1 hr 35 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 600g (1¼lb) rhubarb, cut into chunks
- 125g (4oz) caster sugar, plus a little extra for sprinkling
- 45g (1½oz) butter, softened
- 3 medium eggs
- 60g (2oz) ground almonds
- 45g (1½oz) self-raising flour
- ½tsp almond essence
- 250g (half a packet) puff pastry
- A little milk, to glaze
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Créme fraîche, to serve
You’ll also need:
- 20cm (8in) deep, round, loose-based sandwich tin
- Put the rhubarb into a large pan with 60g (2oz) of the sugar and cook, stirring fairly often, for about 4 mins, until it begins to soften. Cool in a bowl.
- Set the oven to gas mark 6 or 200°C.
- Put the rest of the sugar and the butter into a bowl, and beat until fluffy and creamy. Beat in the eggs, then fold in the ground almonds, flour and the almond essence.
- Put the rhubarb in a sieve over a bowl to drain off as much of the juice as possible.
- Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface and trim to a 28cm (11in) square. Lift it into the tin and press it down inside. Spoon in the almond mixture, smoothing it down. Spoon the rhubarb on the top.
- Fold the overhanging pastry over the fruit. Glaze the pastry with a little milk and then sprinkle with some caster sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 50-55 mins, until golden and crispy and cooked in the middle. Serve the tart warm, dusted with icing sugar, with crème fraîche.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.