Sweet yet tart, and wonderfully refreshing, this light dessert is the perfect way to end a summer meal. The delicate lavender biscuit adds an unusual, and delicious, touch
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Total time: 25 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 850g (1¾lb) rhubarb, trimmed, chopped into thumb-sized pieces
- 250g (8oz) caster sugar
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways
- 1 large egg white
- 60g (2oz) caster sugar
- 30g (1oz) plain flour
- Few drops of lavender (or vanilla) essence
- 30g (1oz) butter, melted
- Baking tray lined with Teflon sheet
- Rolling pin, lightly oiled
- For the granita: Put the rhubarb, sugar, orange zest and juice, and the vanilla pod into a large pan. Add 300ml (½ pint) water. Warm over a low heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves. Simmer until the fruit is falling apart. Take off the heat. Cool.
- Scrape seeds out of the vanilla pod, put these back into rhubarb, put in a food processor and whizz until smooth. Pour into a plastic container, cover and freeze overnight.
- Ten minutes before serving, transfer the granita to the fridge. Scrape together with a fork to soften it, then spoon into 6 glasses. Keep the rest in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- For the tuiles: Set the oven to gas mark 4 or 180°C. Put the egg white in a medium bowl. Whisk it lightly with a fork, then whisk in the sugar to a froth. Sift in the flour, add the essence and mix in the melted butter.
- Put 4tsp of the mixture spaced apart on the Teflon. Spread it a little, using the bowl of the spoon, then bake for 9-10 mins. Take off with a palette knife and lay them over the rolling pin to set into a curl. Cook the rest of the mixture in batches. Cool and store in an airtight tin. They will keep for a week, and for a month if frozen.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.