A traditional roast turkey with a dried cranberry, parsley and thyme stuffing
Serves: 6 with extra for serving cold
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Total time: 3 hrs 25 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 4.5-5kg (10-11lb) British turkey with giblets
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 30g (1oz) melted butter
For the stuffing:
- 250g (8oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2 x 100g packets dried cranberries
- 3-4 level tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3-4 level tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 medium eggs
- 60g (2oz) butter, melted
- Salt and ground black pepper
- To make the giblet stock: Pour 1.5 litres (2½ pints) cold water into a pan; add the giblets and onion. Cover the pan and place it on the hob and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer stock for about 2 hours, then remove the pan from the heat and strain stock.
- To make the stuffing: Tip all the ingredients into a bowl and mix until they just bind
- together. Use half the stuffing to fill the neck cavity of the turkey and shape the remaining mixture into 6 stuffing balls. Position one oven shelf towards the bottom of the oven for the turkey, and the other shelf towards the top for the vegetables.
- Weigh the stuffed turkey to calculate the cooking time. Allow 20 minutes per kg, plus 90 minutes. You’ll need to leave the turkey to rest for 20-30 minutes before carving, so take this into account when calculating what time to put it in the oven.
- Place the turkey in a roasting tin and brush with melted butter. Pour the giblet stock around turkey. Cover the tin with foil and place in the oven. Keep turkey covered with foil until the last 45 minutes of cooking time.
- To test if the turkey is cooked, pierce the thickest part of the thigh with a skewer. If the juices run out clear, it’s cooked, but if there is still any pinkness, continue cooking.
- When the juices run clear, remove turkey from oven and cover with clean foil. Leave turkey in a warm place for 20-30 minutes before you want to serve it (it will be easier to carve).
- When the turkey’s cooked, cook the extra stuffing balls for about 20 minutes.
- Strain pan juices to use to make the gravy.
- Garnish the turkey with fresh herbs before serving.
Nutritional information per portion
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.