This succulent rack of venison is roasted with crushed juniper berries and cloves. Creme de Cassis is simmered in the roasting tin and reduced to make a delicious sauce.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
Total time: 55 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 750g (1½lb) eight-rib rack of venison
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp juniper berries, crushed
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tbs chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 5 tbs Crème de Cassis
- 200ml (7fl oz) hot beef stock
- 4 tbs cranberry and red onion chutney (we used Baxters)
- Set oven to Gas Mark 5 or 190°C. Put the venison into a roasting tin, push a sharp knife into the meat several times and season well. Sprinkle with the juniper berries, garlic and thyme. Roast for 30 mins.
- Remove meat from roasting tin, cover with foil and keep it warm. Put the roasting tin on the hob over a high heat, pour in the Crème de Cassis and let it bubble for 1 min, then add the beef stock and boil for a few mins until reduced to a light syrup.
- Meanwhile, spread chutney over the venison and return it to the oven for 3 mins. To serve: Cut into chops and spoon Crème de Cassis sauce over.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.