This chunky ratatouille is a great option for a healthy family meal. Packed with vegetables in a delicious tomato sauce, the whole family will enjoy this dish
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr
Total time: 1 hr 20 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 2 red romano or bell peppers, halved, deseeded and cut into big chunks
- 1 aubergine, sliced thickly and then the slices halved
- 2 courgettes, trimmed, halved and cut into short chunks
- 2 red onions, peeled and cut into 6 wedges
- 4 large plum or round tomatoes, halved
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- Set the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5. Put all the prepared vegetables in a large roasting tray or tin, in a single layer if possible. Sprinkle with the oregano and seasoning and drizzle with 4 tbsp of the oil. Mix everything well with your hand. Roast for 45-50 mins until soft and beginning to brown. Stir a couple of times while cooking.
- When the veg are nearly cooked, heat a large frying pan and add the rest of the oil and the garlic and cook until the garlic begins to brown.
- Pour in the canned tomatoes, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 mins. Stir in the veg.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.