Meringues are not as tricky as everyone thinks. Follow our fool-proof recipe to make these light rose meringues.
For the meringues:
- 4 large egg whites
- 250g (8oz) caster sugar
- 2tbsp rose water
- Pink food colouring
For the buttercream:
- 100g (3½oz) egg white
- 200g (7oz) caster sugar
- 300g (10oz) unsalted butter, softened
- A pinch of salt
- Crystallised rose petals, for decoration
- A large piping bag, fitted with star piping tube
- 2 baking sheets, with baking parchment
- Set oven to the coolest setting, around 80-100ºC (180-200F / gas mark 1-4)
- Make the meringues first. Tip the egg whites into a bowl and add the sugar and rose water. Place bowl over a pan of gently simmering water and stir until the sugar crystals have dissolved, then remove the bowl from the heat.
- Whisk mixture until it is thick, holds its shape and is cool – this will take 5-10 mins.
- Add food colouring to make the mixture pink and fold in. Fill piping bag with the mixture and pipe small swirls on to lined baking sheets.
- Bake for about 3 hrs or until they have dried out thoroughly, then turn the oven off and leave meringues in the oven until completely cool.
- To make the buttercream, put egg whites and sugar in a bowl and place the bowl over a pan of hot water. Stir the egg whites until the sugar dissolves. Remove the bowl from the heat and whisk the egg whites until the mixture is cold and stiff.
- Gradually whisk in butter and salt. The buttercream may look like it’s curdled, but keep whisking it until it emulsifies and looks smooth.
- Fill piping bag, fitted with the star tube, with buttercream and pipe on to one meringue, then stick another meringue on top. Decorate buttercream with crystallised rose petals. (Not suitable for freezing)
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.