Enjoy the freshness and flavours of delicious vegetables
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 2 hrs
Total time: 2 hrs 20 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 4 small to medium fresh beetroot, scrubbed, but a small amount of stem and roots left on
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- A few bay leaves
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 4 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 250g (8oz) new potatoes, whole or halved
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2-3 tbsp mixed toasted seeds
- A few handfuls of fresh spinach leaves
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200°C. Put the whole beetroots in a roasting tin, spoon over the oil, add the bay leaves, thyme and garlic. Cover with foil and roast for 45 mins.
- Add the new potatoes and sweet potatoes and cook, covered, for another 45 mins. Take off the foil and cook for another 20-30 mins, until the beetroot is tender.
- Cut the beetroot into wedges for serving and stir into the other vegetables, adding more oil, if you like, to get the pink juices running. Sprinkle with the toasted seeds. Add spinach leaves or serve them separately.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.