A traditional Scottish dish, Rumbledethumps is a variation on bubble and squeek but instead of frying leftovers the cabbage and mash are baked like a pie. First featured in Woman’s Weekly in 1982
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
Total time: 1 hr
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 500g (1lb) cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely sliced
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 60g (2oz) butter
- 500g (1lb) mashed potato (use just over 500g/1lb potatoes, peeled, boiled and mashed, or use leftover mash)
- 125g (4oz) mature Cheddar cheese, grated
You will also need:
- Large ovenproof dish, buttered
- Set oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Mix cabbage, onion and seasoning in dish. Pour in 150ml (21⁄4 pint) water, and dot with butter. Spoon potato over evenly, then sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown. Serve with sausages, if you like.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.