Instead of using ordinary white bread for this classic recipe, it’s made with a rich fruit loaf instead
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 5 mins
Total time: 10 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- A few saffron strands
- 4 slices rich fruit loaf
- Knob of butter
- 1 teaspoon sunflower oil
- A little demerara sugar, for sprinkling
- Beat the egg with the milk and saffron in a large, shallow dish.
- Add the slices of bread and leave for a minute, then turn them over and leave until the liquid
- is absorbed.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the bread slices and cook over a medium heat for a few minutes on each side, until golden.
- Serve bread hot,sprinkled with sugar.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.