Taken from the Woamn’s Weekly archive, this tasty recipe was first published in October 1919
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr
Total time: 1 hr 20 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 175g (6oz) macaroni
- 1 slice of bread
- 150ml (¼ pint) hot meat stock
- 500g (1lb) cooked meat, minced
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of sweet herbs, eg, oregano or mixed herbs
- Gravy, or tomato or brown sauce, to serve
- 1.75 litre (3 pint) dish or tin
- Add the macaroni to a pan of boiling salted water and cook for 10 mins. Drain when just tender.
- Meanwhile, tear the bread into a bowl and pour the stock over. Leave to soak for a few mins, then beat it with a fork, almost to a paste.
- Add the meat, drained macaroni, egg, seasoning and herbs. Press the mixture into the tin or dish. Cover with greaseproof paper and steam steadily for an hour (we thought it tasted better baked at Gas Mark 4 or 180°C for 1 hour), taking the paper off for the last 15 mins to give it some colour.
- Turn out or cut into squares in the dish and serve with gravy or sauce.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.