This traditional British dish with anchovies is perfect for breakfast or light lunch. And with less cream, it’s healthier than the traditional one!
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Total time: 20 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 50g can anchovy fillets in olive oil, drained
- 45g (1½ oz) butter, softened
- 2 thick slices white bread
- 3 medium eggs
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche or double cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A few capers, optional
- Fried or grilled tomatoes
- Set aside 4 anchovy fillets. Mash the rest of them with about 30g (1oz) of the butter. Toast the bread and spread it with the anchovy butter.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs with the crème fraîche, or cream, and season lightly.
- Melt rest of butter in a small pan. Add egg mixture and cook over a low heat, letting it set, then stirring gently until thickened and scrambled.
- Spoon mixture on to toast and arrange the reserved anchovies, halved lengthways, on top, adding the capers, if using. Serve with tomatoes.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.