Want to try something new? Why not try making these easy-to-make bistro-style seafood pasties? Use ready made filo pastry and fill with mussels and cockles for the perfect party food
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Total time: 1 hr
Skill level: Easy peasy
- Ready made filo pastry (6 sheets — we used Jus-Rol Frozen Filo Pastry)
- 90g (3oz) butter
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, optional
For the filling:
- 150g (5oz) butternut squash, finely diced
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
- 180g tub of mussels in brine, drained, or a pack of fresh mussels
- 110g jar of cockles, drained
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar or 1 tbsp Thai curry paste
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley or coriander
- Large baking sheet, lined with Bakewell paper
- Mix together all the filling ingredients. Set the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200°C.
- Lay out 1 sheet of filo pastry at a time. Brush it with butter, and then cut it into 3 long strips. Put a good tbsp of filling at the base of each strip, then fold it up and over in the pastry in a triangle shape, and keep on folding until you get to the top. Put the pasties on the baking sheet and brush with butter. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if using.
- Bake for 30 mins. Serve hot or cold.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.