Marinated and baked in brown sugar, coriander, red chilli and bay leaves, this tasty dish will keep for up to 4 days.
Skill level:Easy peasy
- 4-6 mackerel, gutted and heads removed
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 100g (3½oz) light soft brown sugar
- 1 level tbsp coriander seeds, lightly crushed
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and sliced
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 568ml bottle malt vinegar
- Set the oven to gas mark 2 or 150°C.
- Arrange the fish in a single layer in an ovenproof dish. Place the onion slices on top. Sprinkle the sugar, coriander and chilli over and add the bay leaves. Pour vinegar and 300ml (½ pint) water into the dish, so it totally covers the fish.
- Cover dish with a lid or a sheet of foil. Bake in the centre of the oven for 50-60 mins, until the fish is very tender.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot, or leave to cool and serve chilled with soda bread or crusty bread to soak up the juices.
Feature: Sue McMahon. Photos: Noel Murphy. Props stylist: Sue Radcliffe
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.