Give your beef a fresh flavour by making this Spanish beef recipe. Paprika, chorizo, chillies and cumin give the dish plenty of flavour – and you can make in a large batch and freeze
Prep time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 2 hrs
Total time: 2 hrs 25 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1kg (2¼lb) braising steak, diced
- 2 medium onions, peeled, cut into wedges
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 225g chorizo ring, thickly sliced
- 1 tsp crushed dried chillies or 1½-2 tsp mild chilli powder
- 1 level tsp ground cumin
- 2 level tsp smoked paprika
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 x 400g cans mixed beans, rinsed and drained
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Fresh parsley (optional)
You will also need:
- Large flameproof casserole
- Set the oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas Mark 3. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan, add half the meat and fry until browned all over. Tip the meat and juices into the casserole. Repeat with another tablespoon of oil and the rest of the meat.
- Add the last of the oil to the pan along with the onions and fry gently 5 mins. Add the peppers, garlic, chorizo and spices and fry for 5 mins then add the tomatoes and tomato purée. Add to the meat, put the casserole on the heat.
- Bring the to the boil, cover, then transfer to the oven and cook for 2-2½ hours, until the beef is really tender.
- Stir the beans and warm through on the hob for 5 mins. Season to taste. Serve with parsley and crusty bread.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.