Moist roast chicken with crispy paprika-flavoured skin, served with Mediterranean roast vegetables
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr 30 mins
Total time: 2 hrs
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- 6 cloves garlic, whole, unpeeled
- 2tsp smoked paprika
- 1½tbsp olive oil
- 1.75kg (3½lb) fresh chicken
- Salt and ground black pepper
- A few sprigs of rosemary
- 2 red and 2 yellow or orange peppers, deseeded and cut into wide strips
- 300g (10oz) chorizo sausage, skinned if necessary, cut into thick slices
- 6 medium tomatoes, cut in half
- Set the oven to 200°C or gas mark 6. Mix the onion wedges and garlic in a large roasting tin. Stir in 1tsp of the smoked paprika and ½tbsp of the oil.
- Put the chicken on top of the vegetables in the tin. Brush with the remaining oil, sprinkle with the rest of the paprika and some seasoning. Tuck rosemary sprigs into the chicken cavity and in among the vegetables. Roast the chicken for 1 hr.
- Take the chicken out of tin, stir the pieces of pepper, chorizo and tomato halves into the onions, then put the chicken back in, basting with juices. Cook for another 30-40 mins, until the chicken is well-cooked and its juices run clear.
- Set the chicken aside to rest for 10 mins before carving. Stir the vegetables and put them back in the oven to finish cooking for 10 mins. Carve chicken and serve with the mixed vegetables and baby new potatoes, if you like. (Not suitable for freezing).
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.