These delicious, crisp biscuits are perfect to eat with fruity dessert or on their own as an afternoon nibble. Super easy to make, this simple recipe makes a massive 75 biscuits
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 6 mins
Total time: 21 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 250g (8oz) plain flour
- 90g (3oz) caster sugar
- 1 level tsp mixed spice
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 90g (3oz) butter or margarine
- 5-6 tbsp double or soured cream
- Baking sheet, lined with Bakewell paper or Teflon
- Set the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Mix the flour, sugar, spice and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl.
- Rub in the butter or margarine and mix with the cream to make a very stiff paste.
- Divide dough in half. Roll out one piece at a time to 18 x 35.5cm (7 x 14in) oblong and cut into fingers 9cm (3½in) long with a sharp knife. Put them on the baking sheet and bake for 5-6 mins until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Bake in batches.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.