This tasty Greek pudding with pistachios and honey is the ultimate sweet treat. Serve as an afternoon treat or after a meal for a sticky but delicious dessert
Prep time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
Total time: 1 hr 5 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 250g (8oz) pack filo pastry (we used JR Feuilles de Filo Pastry)
- 90g (3oz) butter, melted
- 150ml (¼ pint) runny honey
For the filling:
- 150g (5oz) blanched almonds
- 150g (5oz) pistachio nuts
- 90g (3oz) golden caster sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 60g (2oz) butter, softened
- 18 x 28cm (7 x 11in) traybake tin, buttered
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 4 or 180°C.
- To make the filling: Put the almonds, pistachios, sugar and cinnamon into a food processor and whizz until
- fairly finely ground. Add the lemon zest and just half of the lemon juice and the butter, and whizz again. Take 1 sheet of pastry, brush with a little melted butter and fold in half to fit the base of the tin. Repeat twice with 2 more sheets. Spread half of the nuts over. Layer up another 3 buttered and folded filo pastry sheets and spread with the rest of the nuts.
- Top with four more buttered and folded filo pastry sheets. Use a sharp knife to score a diamond pattern over the top couple of pastry layers. Brush with the rest of the butter mixed with 1 tablespoon warm water. Bake for 40 mins until golden brown.
- Warm the honey with the rest of the lemon juice in the microwave on High for 30 seconds. Pour the syrup over the hot baklava. Cool and cut into diamond shapes to serve.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.