The kids will love these jammie treats – get them to help spread jam over freshly-baked biscuit bases and top with a buttery ring.
Makes:15 – 20
- 125g (4oz) butter, softened
- 60g (2oz) caster sugar
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- Few drops of vanilla extract
- 200g (7oz) plain flour
- 30g (1oz) cornflour
- ½ level tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
For the filling:
- 4tbsp strawberry jam
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Set oven to 180°C or gas mark 4.
- In a bowl, beat butter with sugar until creamy. Gradually beat in the egg, then the vanilla extract. Sift the remaining ingredients into a bowl and blend in with a spoon, then work by hand to form a soft dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 3mm thick.
- Using the 7cm (2¾in) fluted cutter, cut rounds from dough. Place on baking sheets. Remove centres from half of rounds with the 4cm (1½in) cutter. Re-knead and re-roll trimmings: cut out more rounds and rings, making sure that you have an equal number of each, to make 15-20 in total.
- Bake the biscuits in the oven for 15 mins until lightly browned, then remove from the oven and transfer the biscuits to wire racks. Leave them to cool.
- To assemble the biscuits, spread strawberry jam over the bases and place rings on top. Sift icing sugar over them before serving.
Storage notes: Not suitable for freezing, but will keep well for up to 4-5 days in an airtight container. Calorie and fat values are for the maximum number of servings stated.
Nutritional information per portion