Try a new way of serving this ever-popular shellfish by cooking them in white wine and stuffing with breadcrumbs, Parmesan, herbs and chilli.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Total time: 25 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 500g (1lb) mussels
- 100ml (3½fl oz) dry white wine or water
- 6tbsp fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1tbsp roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Clean the mussels well, carefully removing any beards and barnacles using a sharp knife.
- Rinse the mussels under cold water. Put them into a large, shallow pan. Add the white wine or water. Put a lid on the pan and cook the mussels over a high heat for 1-2 mins, until they’ve opened. Drain them and set aside to cool.
- Separate the shells into halves, discarding the halves that are empty. Lay the halves containing mussels on an ovenproof tray and refrigerate until needed.
- In a bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, Parmesan and parsley.
- Heat the oil gently in a small pan and add the garlic and chilli. Cook for 1 min, taking care not to burn the garlic, then stir into the breadcrumbs, and season to taste.
- Preheat the grill to a hot setting. Spoon the breadcrumb mixture over the mussels and grill the mussels for 4-5 mins, until the crumb crust is golden. Serve immediately.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.