Barbecued sweet potatoes are delicious, but with this chilli and cinnamon butter topping, they’re to die for!
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time:45 mins
- 125g (4oz) butter, softened
- 1 red or green chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1 level tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed
- Beat the butter until it’s very soft, then stir in the chilli and cinnamon.
- Scoop butter out on to a small piece of baking parchment, then form the butter into a log shape, rolled up in the parchment. Chill until firm.
- Put the potatoes in a large pan of water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 mins, then drain.
- Wrap the potatoes individually in foil and cook them on the barbecue for 20-30 mins, turning them occasionally, until they are very tender.
- Cut the butter into 6 slices. Remove the potatoes from the barbecue and cut a slit or cross in each one. Place a slice of butter onto each potato. Serve immediately, or re-wrap them in the foil to keep warm.
Cook’s tip: The flavoured butter can be made in advance and kept in the fridge for up to 3 days. The potatoes may be boiled a few hours in advance and wrapped in foil. Boiling the potatoes helps to speed up the cooking time on the barbecue, rather than cooking them from raw.Per serving: 377 calories; 18g fatFeature: Sue McMahon
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.