An old Woman’s Weekly favourite recipe from 1956. This cheap, easy to make tomato and sweetcorn flan make a great healthy lunch or supper.
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
Total time: 1 hr
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
For the pastry:
- 125g (4oz) plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 30g (1oz) each of butter and vegetable fat, diced
For the filling:
- 15g (1oz) butter
- 6 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped
- 195g can sweetcorn, drained weight 160g
- 125g (4oz) sliced or shredded ham, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 16.5-18cm (6½-7in) flan ring on a sturdy baking sheet
- To make the pastry: Sift the flour and salt into a bowl, add the fats and rub in to breadcrumb stage. Mix in enough cold water to make a stiff dough. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to line the flan ring. Chill.
- Set oven to 220°C/Gas Mark 7.
- To make the filling: Melt butter in a pan, add tomatoes and cook for 2-3 mins, until reduced to a thick pulp. Sieve this mixture, and pour purée back into pan. Stir in sweetcorn and ham.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the sugar, stir in the egg yolk and beat well.
- Put filling into pastry case and bake for 15 mins. Reduce oven to 190°C/Gas Mark 5 and cook for 20-25 mins more, or until filling is set (the pastry does not brown). Serve warm or cold with a salad or green vegetables.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.