Using readymade puff pastry this fresh summer tomato and tarragon tart with brie and red onion couldn’t be easier. Just serve with salad for a simple lunch or dinner or pack it up for a picnic
Prep time: 1 hr
Cooking time: 55 mins
Total time: 1 hr 55 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 375g pack all-butter puff pastry
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 6 tarragon sprigs (about 10g)
- 30g freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 125g Somerset brie, cut into thin slices
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 8 small ripe medium tomatoes (300g), each sliced into 4
- Good pinch of sugar
- Roll out pastry, to a 30cm (12in) square, on a lightly floured surface. Place on a sturdy baking sheet. Score a 1cm (1⁄2in) border around edge. Prick inside border with a fork. Chill for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsps of the oil in a frying pan over a low heat. Add the onion, garlic and leaves from 3 sprigs of tarragon. Cook over a gentle heat for 15 mins, until softened. Leave to cool.
- Set the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7. Sprinkle the Parmesan over the pastry, spread the onion over, put brie slices on top, add more tarragon leaves from 2 sprigs, season well and arrange tomato slices on top, overlapping them slightly. Sprinkle with sugar and drizzle with some oil. Bake below the centre of the oven for 35 mins. Take out, drizzle with a little more oil, if you like. Eat warm or cold, scattered with tarragon leaves.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.