Looking for a delicious but easy-to-make dessert? This chocolate tiramisu is the perfect no-fuss recipe.
Cooking time: 40 mins
Skill level:Easy peasy
- 200g bar good-quality plain chocolate
- 1tbsp good-quality coffee granules
- 2tbsp icing sugar
- 3tbsp Tia Maria liqueur
- 12 trifle sponges
- 2 eggs, separated
- 200g tub mascarpone cheese
- 150ml pot double or whipping cream, to decorate
- 1.5 litre (2½pt) pudding basin
- Grate off about 2 squares of the chocolate for the decoration and set aside.
- Break the rest of the chocolate into squares and put them in a bowl over a pan of simmering water until it melts. Mix the coffee granules, icing sugar and 3tbsp hot water in small bowl until blended, then mix into the melted chocolate, along with the Tia Maria. Cool for a few mins.
- Split the trifle sponges in half to make 24 thin pieces. Use some to line the basin, with the sugary tops facing inside. Fill in the gaps with more pieces to fit. Save 6 pieces for the top and a few more to create 2 layers in between.
- Add the egg yolks and mascarpone to the melted chocolate. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until firm. Fold them into the chocolate mixture.
- Spoon a third of the chocolate mixture into the bowl lined with sponges, put in a layer of sponge, more filling, more sponge, ending by filling in gaps with sponge.
- Put the bowl on a plate or tray, place a piece of cling film on top, then lay a plate, that fits inside the bowl, on top of it. Press it down with weights. Some filling may ooze out. Chill in the fridge for a day or overnight.
- To turn pudding out, ease a knife down the sides of the bowl and invert pudding on to a plate. Whip cream and spread it over the pudding. Sprinkle with the reserved grated chocolate.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.