There’s nothing tastier than a brulee of creamy custard with a crackling caramel topping. A delicious comforting dessert.
Skill level:Easy peasy
For the cream
- 600ml (1 pint) whipping cream
- 1 vanilla pod, split open
- Pinch of salt
- 10 large egg yolks
- 50g (1¾oz) caster sugar
For the caramel
- 150g (5oz) caster sugar
- Oil, for greasing
- 5-6 small ramekin dishes
- Baking tray
- To make the cream, pour the cream into a saucepan and add the vanilla pod and salt. Bring the mixture to the boil.
- Meanwhile, tip the egg yolks and sugar into a bowl. Slowly pour the boiled cream over the egg yolk mixture, stirring well. Place the bowl over a pan of hot water and stir until the cream thickens to give a custard.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Lift out the vanilla pod and scrape the seeds back into the mixture, discarding the husk. Strain the custard through a fine sieve and pour it into the ramekin dishes. Leave the custards to cool, then place them in the fridge and chill them well.
- To make the caramel, pour 3tbsp water into a saucepan and add the sugar. Place the pan over a low heat until the sugar dissolves, then increase the heat and boil until the sugar is pale golden. While the sugar is caramelising, scrunch up a piece of foil and wipe a thin layer of oil over the surface. Place foil in the base of a baking tray (this is to stop the caramel from running over the work surface) and place on a heatproof surface.
- When the caramel is ready, pour it out on to the foil, then tilt the tray so the caramel runs out to give a thin, even layer. Leave the caramel to cool and set, then, just before serving, peel away the foil and break it into pieces. Press them into the brulee.
Feature: Sue McMahon. Photos: www.frankthephotographer.com. Props stylist: Sue Radcliffe
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.