Woman’s Weekly’s Cookery Editor, Sue McMahon, shows you how to make these popular chocolate macaroons. Follow along with her in our simple step-by-step video
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Total time: 1 hr 5 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 175g (6oz) icing sugar
- 2 level tbsp cocoa
- 2 medium egg whites
- 30g (1oz) caster sugar
- 90g (3oz) ground almonds
For the filling:
- 6-8tbsp hazelnut chocolate spread
- Piping bag fitted with 1cm plain piping tube
- Baking sheet, lined with non-stick liner or baking parchment
- Sift the icing sugar and cocoa together a couple of times onto a plate, so that they are well mixed.
- Whisk the egg whites and caster sugar together until stiff then fold in the icing sugar mixture and ground almonds. Fill the piping bag with the mixture and pipe about 36-40 small balls onto the lined baking sheet. Press down any points with a damp finger.
- Leave the baking sheet in a warm place for a minimum of 30 mins, so that a the skin over the piped balls skins over and they feel dry on the surface when touched with a clean dry finger.
- Set the oven to cool 150°C or gas mark 2.
- Bake the macaroons in the centre of the oven for 10-15 mins until they have just set. Remove the macaroons from the oven and leave them to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Sandwich 2 macaroons together with some of the hazelnut chocolate spread.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.