Learn how to make this classic British cake with our easy to follow video recipe – it’s the perfect party treat
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
For the cake:
- 3 medium eggs
- 175g (6oz) butter, softened (approx)
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar (approx)
- 175g (6oz) self-raising flour (approx)
For the filling:
- 142ml carton double cream
- 4-6 level tablespoons raspberry jam
- caster sugar, for dredging
- 2 x 18cm (7in) round sandwich tins, greased and base lined with baking parchment
- Set the oven to moderately hot Gas Mark 5 or 190°C/375°F.
- Weigh the eggs – and then use the same weight for each of the caster sugar, butter and flour.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy and the mixture is pale in colour. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, adding a little flour with each egg. Fold in the remaining flour.
- Divide the mixture between the sandwich tins, and level the surface. Bake in the centre of the oven for 20-25mins, until the cake has risen, is a golden colour, and springs back when lightly pressed in the centre.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.