This winter fruit compote of spiced pears, apricots and prunes makes a delicious, healthy breakfast or pudding. Not only does it taste great it’s low in calories. A perfect way to get some of your 5-a-day.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 4 firm ripe pears, peeled and quartered
- 1 vanilla pod, halved and seeds scraped out
- 4 tbsp clear honey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- 200g (7oz) ready-to-eat apricots
- 200g (7oz) ready-to-eat prunes
- 50g (2oz) Craisins (or dried cranberries)
- 100ml (3½fl oz) elderflower cordial
- Put the pears in a pan large enough to fit them snugly in one layer and cover with 450ml (¾ pint) water. Add the vanilla pod and seeds, honey, cinnamon stick, orange zest and juice.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 mins until the pears are just tender.
- Add the apricots, prunes, Craisins and elderflower cordial, cover and cool.
- Store, covered, in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.