Quick and simple, use a bag of ready-chopped frozen winter vegetables to make this soup in next to no time. Perfect for a warming lunch or a light dinner
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr
Total time: 1 hr 10 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 1kg packet frozen winter vegetable mix
- 8 rashers streaky bacon
- 100g (31/2oz) ready-shredded cabbage
- 900ml (11/2 pints) boiling water
- 2 ham or vegetable stock cubes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Set the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7.
- Tip the vegetables into a roasting tin and cook them for about 45 minutes until they are tender.
- Chop the bacon rashers and dry-fry them until crispy. Microwave or steam the cabbage.
- Pour the boiling water into the roasting tin and add the stock cubes. Use a stick blender to whizz the vegetables for a few seconds to puree some of them, but leaving some chunky bits. Stir to make sure the stock cubes have dissolved completely and season to taste.
- Spoon the soup into bowls and top with cabbage and bacon.