Fancy starters needn’t be hard to make. Simply mix up some crab meat with a zesty dressing and top with a creamy sauce to make these delicious bites – they’ll never guess how easy they were!
Prep time: 40 mins
Total time: 2 hrs 40 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 100g (3½oz) white crabmeat
- 125-150g (4-5oz) cooked king prawns, chopped
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 level tbsp freshly chopped dill
- 1 tbsp virgin olive oil
- Finely zested rind ½ lemon
- Salt and ground black pepper
- ½ x 200ml carton crème fraiche
- Salmon caviar and sprigs of dill, to garnish (optional)
- Melba toast, to serve
- 4 metal rings, 7cm (2¾in) in diameter, oiled
- Line a small baking tray with cling film and place the 4 metal rings on the tray.
- Place the crabmeat, prawns, spring onion, dill, oil, lemon juice and seasoning in a bowl and mix well. Divide the mixture between the 4 rings, pressing it down firmly.
- Stir the crème fraiche to soften it and spread it over the top of the fish mixture. Chill for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- To serve, slide a wide palette knife under each ring in turn and transfer them to a plate. Lift off the ring.
- Garnish with a little salmon caviar and a sprig of dill, and serve with Melba toast.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.