Homemade cards add a truly magical touch, so if you'd like to make your own this year, then we've got just the thing for you
When you start thinking about posting dates for Christmas cards, it’s a real sign that the festive season is in full swing.
Below, we will take you through a simple step-by-step guide to drawing your own bauble Christmas cards.
There are just 10 easy steps to follow and all you’ll need is a card, pen, pencil and a rubber. It’s really that easy!
So, read our instructions below to make your own bauble cards…
- Blank white cards and envelopes
- Black pen
1. Start by sketching out the outline of a bauble – we simply drew around the top of a glass to make the perfect circle, then added an oblong box top, a bow and a chain.
2. Draw tiny filled-in circles all around the edge of the bauble for a pretty outline. Leave to dry before going on to Step 3, to make sure you don’t smudge anything.
3. Then focus on the top part of the card. Fill in the black box, and the outline of the bow. Make sure you give the top of the bow quite a thick outline to suggest a shadow.
4. We drew different sized circles to fill our bow – you could do stripes, or even use colour if you like.
5. Step 5 is filling in the middle of the bauble. It’s always easiest to draw a sketch of the design you plan to include to work out spacing. We used a variety of flowers, teardrops, swirls.
6. When you are happy with your design, start to ink over the shapes.
7. Gradually finish the design with thin outlines, this will give you a base to define more in Step 8.
8. Then, start filling the shapes with more definition. Make the spines of the leaves thicker, give the swirls circular balls at the end, and fill the tear drops with a black tear-shape.
9. Once you’re happy with the front of your card, it’s time to write some warm wishes on the inside. Again, it’s worth drawing out the word design in pencil.
Then gradually build up the thickness of the words to give more impact.
10. Leave the card until all the ink is completely dry. Then, as a final step, get a rubber and rub out any of the pencil lines you used to guide you with the design.
So, there you have it! If you have a go at making your own bauble card, or have made any other Christmas cards, we’d love to see Your Makes.
Send us your pictures using our simple form – we can’t wait to see them!