With this paper mosaic tray you can make teatime seem special every day!
This design is inspired by pretty vintage china and the idea of recycling your floral crockery into cake stands.
Afternoon tea is a pleasure we all like to indulge in – there really is nothing better than the sight of a tea tray filled with baked delights. And, with this tray you’ll be able to feast in style!
Instead of creating a mosaic pattern with broken crockery, we’ll be showing you how to make a paper mosaic version using a selection of blue and white paper. Make sure to pick a few different pretty patterns when choosing your paper, to get a really authentic look of broken plates.
Here’s how to do it…
- Wooden tray
- White acrylic paint
- A selection of blue patterned paper
- PVA Glue
- Speciality Medium Matt Varnish (2oz)
1. Take a wooden tray and sand down with a light sandpaper to prepare the surface for painting. Wipe down with a damp cloth to remove any dusty residue.
2. Paint with a couple of coats of blanc acrylic paint – you can choose whatever colour you like here but white is a good neutral colour for the background.
3. Choose a selection of patterned papers and cut various sized circles and hoops. Tear the hoops into mosaic size pieces.
4. Now position the circles and hoops on the tray, leaving a small gap between each piece and mixing up the patterns until you’re happy with the design.
5. Glue the circles and hoop pieces down with PVA glue.
6. Once the mosaic pieces have all been glued into place, finish by adding two coats of matt varnish allowing to dry between coats. You may wish to coat the entire tray to protect the rest of the painted surface.
And there you have it, it’s that easy!