Add a personal touch to this homemade Christmas gingerbread kit that's ideal for a keen baker.
This Christmas gingerbread kit is the perfect gift to put together if you’re in a rush around the festive period. Simply fill up a jar with the ingredients, bake a batch of your own to personalise the jar with the recipients initials and then decorate with ribbons, twine and pinecones!
For the Christmas gingerbread kit jar
- 250g (8oz) plain flour, sieved
- ½tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 4tsp ground ginger
- 2tsp ground cinnamon
- 125g (4oz) light muscovado sugar
- Gift jar
Sieve flour into gift jar, add the bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon. Tip in the sugar and seal the jar.
Makes 8 biscuits.
To personalise your Christmas gingerbread kit
- Red card, Paperchase
- Jar, £18, The White Company
- String trimming, £6.50 for 3m, John Lewis,
- Silver birch star, £5 a box, Cox & Cox or Paperchase
- Silver pine cone: Spray cone with spray paint (see above) and sprinkle with silver glitter.
- K cutter, £1, Whisk Kitchen Shop
- Write out the recipe below on red card and roll up, then write the word ‘recipe’ as shown. Make the initial biscuit and decorate.
- Bake a batch of biscuits and stamp out initials to attach to jar, making sure to leave a hole to thread string through.
- Tie biscuit and cutter to jar. Roll and tie recipe scroll, then glue on a star and silver-sprayed pine cone.
Christmas gingerbread kit recipe
You will need:
- 100g (3½oz) butter
- 4tsp golden syrup
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 200g (7oz) royal icing sugar, sieved
- Tip contents of jar into a processor or bowl. Rub in the butter to make crumbs.
- Add the golden syrup and the egg. Whizz in a processor, or use your hands to bring dough together. Chill for 30 mins.
- Heat oven to 190°C or Gas Mark 5. Roll out gingerbread on baking parchment. Stamp out letters with flour-dipped initial cutter. Bake for 15 mins until biscuits are golden brown.
- Add just enough water to the icing sugar to make a firm icing. Pipe on to biscuits to decorate.