Gift planters and potted blooms look all the prettier in a personalised pot, we show you how!
You will need
- Small tree or plant
- Ribbon or twine
- Thin card
- Rubber stamps
- Bay and citrus trees, rosemary and cyclamens, from a selection at Wyevale
- Ribbons, from a selection at Jane Means
- Fairy lights and ceramic bells, from a selection at The White Company
Top tip: For festive sparkle, weave a string of battery operated fairy lights through the branches of the tree.
How to make the personalised pot
- Place a large piece of hessian down on a work surface, then position your tree or plant away from the edge. Pull the hessian up to see how much you will need, mark with chalk and cut out a large square.
- Pull the hessian up, around the pot, folding over the excess at the top.
- Cut a long length of ribbon or twine and leave to one side. Pull the hessian tightly round to the back of the pot, cutting off any excess. Then, holding the hessian in one hand, wrap with ribbon or twine and tie in a bow.
- Enlarge the star template then trace on to thin card and cut out.
- Make the personalised pot by hand stamping the recipient’s name on the star and adding a few festive designs. Punch a hole at the top, thread with twine and tie in a bow.
- Either tie to the tree or slip the star into the ribbon.
Top tip: Wrap extra string around the top of the pot to secure the hessian, then fold over the excess to conceal it.
If you don’t fancy using hessian on your personalised pots, or it doesn’t go with your Christmas decor, why not try an alternative fabric?
Go for plainer styles over patterned material so that it doesn’t distract from the personalised star labels. And, if you’re not a fan of stars, make your own personalised pot template!
Draw outlines of Christmas trees, bells, crackers, angels, presents, stockings, snowmen, candy canes, baubles, gingerbread men and more to add your own personal touch to our design.