Set down your cuppa on one of these pretty appliqué coaster designs. They’re so easy to make with a few fabric scraps so, if you have a free afternoon to get crafting, this is the project for you. For an even simpler version, try making these spiral coasters instead.
Try using any shape to personalise your set of appliqué coasters. As coffee fanatics, we’ve designed ours with a coffee cup. But how about a wine glass if you love your vino or a teacup for your daily brew?
Or why not create a completely different appliqué shape altogether to suit your decor instead? A navy blue star design or a blooming flower in floral fabrics would look fantastic. Take some inspiration from these other appliqué project ideas, like this cupcake cushion or a sewing organiser.
Whatever you decide, make your appliqué coaster designs in the boldest and brightest of patterned fabrics to make your coasters standout.
You will need:
- 10x10cm piece cotton fabric in four different patterns
- 25x50cm sand coloured denim fabric
- Paper and pencil
- Black sewing thread
- Beige sewing thread
How to make appliqué coasters:
1. Cut out eight squares measuring 12x12cm from the sand fabric. Fuse the Bondaweb to the wrong side of the patterned fabrics using an iron and following the manufacturer’s instructions.
2. Using our image as a guide cut out coffee cup shapes from the fabric pieces. Remove the paper backing from the fabrics and fuse the coffee cup shapes to four of the sandy coloured squares.
3. Topstitch all the way around the cup motifs in a contrasting thread.
4. Pin the squares into pairs with one appliquéd square matched with a plain square, making sure the right sides are facing. Sew around three of the sides with a 1cm seam allowance, turn right sides out and press.
5. Slip stitch the gaps closed and then topstitch in a matching sewing thread approximately 5mm from the edge.