Craft and home editor Esme Clemo shares her tips on crafting this attractive storage solution for your kitchen, craft room, office or garden shed
This pretty wall hanging is a wonderfully stylish storage solution for your home.
You will need:
✤ 56 x 68cm floral cotton
✤ 36 x 54cm
✤ 60cm length of 18mm wood dowel
✤ 12cm square brown card
✤ Typewriter alphabet stamps
✤ Black ink stamp pad
✤ Matching thread
✤ Tape measure
✤ Glue gun
✤ Wall fixings
Stockists Wooden dowel, £2.50, B&Q (0333 014 3098; diy.com); for similar fabric, try Cath Kidston (0333 320 2663; cathkidston.com); alphabet stamps, £12, hessian fabric, £8 for 2m roll, Hobbycraft (0330 026 1400; hobbycraft.co.uk)
1. Turn and pin the two long sides of the floral fabric under by 1cm and then another 1cm to create a double hem. Topstitch close to the turned edge to secure. Repeat for one of the short sides.
2. Along the other short edge, turn the fabric under by 1cm and then 2.5cm. Pin and sew as close to the folded edge as possible to create a channel for the dowel.
3. Cut the hessian fabric in half so you have two strips measuring 18 x 54cm. Turn and pin one long side under by 1cm and then another 1cm. Pin and sew to create a double hem and repeat for the other strip.
4. Fold and pin the other sides of the hessian strips under by 1cm. Position and pin one of the strips 10cm from the top of the floral hanger and the other 10cm from the bottom, with the double hems at the top.
5. Topstitch around the short and bottom sides of the strips as close to the edges as possible to secure in place.
6. To create the pockets, use a tape measure and pencil to mark each hessian strip into six equal sections. Topstitch along the markings to divide the fabric into pockets.
7. Cut the brown card into 2 x 6cm rectangles. Use the alphabet stamps and ink stamp pad to create labels. You can write the names of specific seeds for your garden on the labels, or kitchen utensils if you’re using the wall hanging in your kitchen. Use a glue gun to stick the labels on the hessian pockets.
8. Thread the wooden dowel through the channel at the top of the wall hanging. Wrap and knot a length of twine to each end of the dowel. Attach a hook to your wall with suitable wall fixings and hang the garden organiser in place, ready to be filled with seed packets or whatever you like.