Make a 3-tiered round wedding cake with our recipe from Woman’s Weekly. This is just for the basic fruit cake recipe. We’ll show you how to cover it with our easy how to wedding cake videos.
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 3 hrs 30 mins
Total time: 4 hrs
Skill level: Master chef
To make three round fruit cakes (small, medium, large measurements listed below):
- Tropical Dried Fruit Medley: 300g (10oz), 500g (1lb), 750g (1/2 lb)
- Butter, softened: 150g (5oz), 250g (8oz), 400g (14oz)
- Light muscovado sugar: 150g (5oz), 250g (8oz), 400g (14oz)
- Golden syrup: 1/2 tbsp, 1 tbsp, 1 1/2 tbsp
- Ground ginger: 1 tsp, 2 tsp, 1tbsp
- Ground mixed spice: 1/2 tsp, 1 tsp, 1 1/2 tsp
- Eggs, medium: 3, 4, 6
- Plain flour: 200g (7oz), 300g (10oz), 450g (15oz)
- Vine fruit mix: 300g (10 oz), 500g (1lb), 750g (1 1/2lb)
- Rum: 2 tbsp, 4 tbsp, 6 tbsp
- 15cm (6in) round, 20cm (8in) round, 25cm (10 in) round cake tins, lined with baking parchment
- Place one of the shelves just below the centre of the oven oven, so the cake will be positioned centrally when cooking. Set the oven to GasMark 2 or 150°C.
- Finely chop the Tropical Dried Fruit Medley.
- Beat the butter, sugar, golden syrup, ginger and ground mixed spice until the mixture is light and fluffy and pale in colour. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, adding a tablespoon of flour along with each egg to help prevent the mixture curdling. Beat in the rest of the flour.Fold in tropical fruits and vine fruits.
- Spoon the mixture into the lined cake tin, and level the surface. Rub over the top of the cake with a wet hand to give a smooth surface.
- Place the cake in the centre of the oven. The 15cm (6in) round cake will take about 2½-2¾ hours, the 20cm (8in) cake will take about 3-3¼ hours and the25cm (10in) cake will take about 3¼-3½ hours. To test if it’s cooked,insert a fine skewer into the centre of the cake and if it comes out clean then it is cooked, but if it comes out with some sticky mixture on it, then it needs a little longer. If the cake starts to brown too quickly, cover the top with a sheet of baking parchment.
- Whenthe cake is cooked, remove it from the oven and leave it to cool for about 15-20 minutes, then spoon over the rum. Leave the cake to cool completely in the tin.
- If the cake is not being decorated immediately, wrap it in baking parchment, and then foil, excluding as much air as possible, and keep in a cool, airy place.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.