Made with Amaretti biscuits, golden syrup and flaked almonds, these tartlets are deliciously flavoursome.
- 150g unsalted butter
- 250g (8oz) plain flour
- 60g (2oz) icing sugar
- 2 medium eggs (1 separated, 1 beaten)
- 200g (7oz) golden syrup
- 150g (5oz) amaretti biscuits, crushed
- 100g (3½oz) flaked almonds, about 40g (1½oz) lightly crushed
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 4tbsp Amaretto or brandy
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- 7.5cm (3in) cutter
- Two 12-hole patty tins
- Cut butter into pieces. Blend the flour and butter in a food processor until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the icing sugar, egg yolk and 1tbsp of the beaten egg, and blend mixture to a dough. Turn out on to a lightly floured surface and knead a little until smooth. Wrap and chill for 1 hr.
- Roll out the pastry thinly in two batches. Cut out 36 circles, place in the bun tins then chill.
- Set the oven to gas mark 3 or 160°C. Gently heat the syrup in a pan, or the microwave, until runny. Add the crushed biscuits with the crushed, flaked almonds, lemon zest and Amaretto or brandy, then stir in the rest of the beaten egg.
- Spoon into the pastry cases, making sure that you don’t overfill them, and sprinkle the rest of the flaked almonds on top. Bake for 20 mins until the pastry is golden.
- Leave in tins for 5 mins to cool, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve the tartlets warm or cold, lightly dusted with icing sugar.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.