All the family will enjoy this baked oat crumble with a sweet cinnamon, apple and sultana filling
Prep time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 50 mins
Total time: 1 hr 15 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 1kg (2¼lb) cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 100g (3½oz) golden caster sugar
- 2 tbsp elderflower cordial
- 60g (2oz) sultanas
- 1 tbsp cornflour
FOR THE CRUMBLE:
- 60g (2oz) wholemeal plain flour
- 60g (2oz) white plain flour
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 90g (3oz) olive oil spread
- 90g (3oz) demerara sugar
- 60g (2oz) jumbo oats
- 1.5 litre (3 pint) ovenproof dish
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200°C. Put the cooking apples, lemon juice, sugar, elderflower cordial, 5 tbsp water and sultanas into a large pan. Gently heat for 10 mins, to soften the apples.
- Meanwhile, mix the cornflour with 1 tbsp water and stir into the apple mixture. Heat, stirring, until the liquid is thick and smooth. Turn into the dish.
- Put the wholemeal and white flours and cinnamon into a food processor. Add the spread and pulse until the mixture forms crumbs. Tip into a bowl and stir in the demerara sugar and oats. Spoon the crumble mixture overthe apples.
- Bake for 30 mins, until it’s a pale golden colour. Serve with custard or ice cream.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.