Taken from a 1973 issue of Woman’s Weekly, this traditional British fish and chips is cooked in the oven, rather than in the deep-fat fryer. It a bit healthier and still as tasty
Prep time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Total time: 55 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 2 med-sized potatoes, peeled
- and cut into chips
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 2 pieces cod or haddock fillet, about 150g (5oz) each
- 1 tsp plain flour, seasoned
- 1 med egg, beaten
- 5 tbs dried breadcrumbs
- Lemon wedges
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 7 or 220°C. Put a baking tray into heat up for 20 mins. Dry the raw potato chips with a clean tea towel, then toss them in 1 tbs of the oil. Put them on the baking sheet and cook for about 30 mins, turning them once.
- Meanwhile, dust the fish with the flour, dip it in the egg and then coat in the breadcrumbs. Put on the baking tray with the chips, drizzle with the rest of the oil and bake for 15 mins. Serve with lemon wedges, salt, pepper and vinegar.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.