Love fish and chips? Why not try this healthy alternative of baked fish with a pesto crust? Top the fish with easy-to-make pesto and serve with homemade oven-baked chips for a healthy and tasty dinner for four.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 35 mins
Total time: 45 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 4 baking potatoes, cut into chunky wedges
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 slices wholemeal bread
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tbsp capers
- 6 basil leaves
- 2 tbsp pesto sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 x 175g (6oz) skinned, thick white fish fillets, such as Icelandic cod
- 2 roasting tins, lined with Teflon non-stick sheets
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 7 or 220°C. Spread the potatoes on to one of the lined roasting tins, drizzle over the oil and bake for 20 mins.
- Set one half of the lemon aside; finely grate and juice the other half.
- Blend the bread in a food processor to make crumbs. Add the garlic, capers, 2 basil leaves, torn, the lemon zest, 1 teaspoon lemon juice and the pesto. Whizz again to blend.
- Arrange the fish in the other roasting tin. Sprinkle with lemon juice and season. Spoon the pesto crust on top of each fish fillet. Cut the remaining lemon half into slices. Arrange a slice of lemon and a basil leaf on top of each piece of fish.
- Turn potatoes over and bake the fish in the oven for 15 mins or until the topping is golden and the fish flakes easily.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.