This recipe for baked stuffed red peppers is a classic Woman’s Weekly recipe from 1958. Stuff the peppers with bacon, egg and breadrumbs and sprinkle with plenty of cheese
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr 5 mins
Total time: 1 hr 15 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 6 small-medium red peppers
For the filling:
- 200g (7oz) streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- Knob of butter
- 30g (1oz) breadcrumbs
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, shelled and chopped
- 45g (1½oz) finely grated Cheddar cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To make the filling: Put the bacon, onion and butter in a frying pan and cook gently for about 10 mins, until onion is tender. Take off heat and stir in breadcrumbs, chopped egg, half the cheese and some seasoning.
- Set the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Cut tops off peppers and pull out the cores and seeds. Rinse them well. Slice a little off bottom of peppers, if necessary, so that they stand up straight.
- Spoon the filling into the peppers and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese. Stand them in a roasting tin, cover loosely with foil and bake for 45 mins. Remove the foil and cook for another 10 mins, to brown the tops. Serve hot with peas, or cold with salad.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.