Perfect for sneaking veg into the kids’ dinner, this easy spaghetti Bolognese recipe takes 30 mins to simmer, but the deliciously rich sauce makes the extra time worth it
Prep time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
Total time: 1 hr 5 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 500g (1lb) extra lean minced beef
- 100g (3½oz) carrot, peeled and chopped
- 200g (7oz) courgette, chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 400g can cherry tomatoes
- 125g (4oz) button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 beef stock cube
- 2 tbs sun-dried tomato paste
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 350g (12oz) spaghetti
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200°C. Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onions. Cook gently for 5 mins, to soften the onions. Add the garlic and minced beef. Fry for 10 mins to brown the meat all over.
- Add the carrot, courgette and pepper, and fry for a few mins. Add the cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, beef stock cube with 300ml (½ pint) water, the sun-dried tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to the boil, then cover with a lid and cook in the oven for 45 mins, until the meat and vegetables are tender. Alternatively, simmer gently on the hob for 30 mins, stirring from time to time.
- To serve, cook the spaghetti in a large pan of boiling salted water, according to packet instructions. Drain and toss together with the Bolognese.You can freeze the Bolognese for up to 3 months in portions in a freezer bag. Defrost overnight in the fridge then reheat thoroughly.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.