Turn a healthy salad into a filling main meal by serving it with flavoursome marinated steaks and grilled naan bread.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 5 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- About 450g (15oz) rump or sirloin steak (3x150g/5oz steaks), trimmed of fat and sinew
- 3tbsp soy sauce
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1tbsp lime juice
- 1 level tsp ground cumin
- 1 level tsp ground coriander
- Pinch of cayenne pepper or dried chillies
- 1-2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cucumber, thinly sliced
- 3-4 Little Gem lettuces, chilled and cut into quarters
- 6 spring onions, trimmed
- 1 lime, cut into thin wedges
- About 150ml (1/4 pint) ready-made satay dipping sauce
- 4 naan breads
- 12 bamboo skewers
- Lay the steaks on a board, cover with cling film and bash them lightly to flatten and tenderise them. Cut each piece into at least 4 long strips about 2.5cm (1in) wide.
- Mix the soy sauce, oil, lime juice, spices and garlic with the salt. Coat the beef in this marinade and leave for an hour, if you have time, a few hours is fine, too.
- Heat a griddle pan or barbecue, until hot. Thread the beef strips on the skewers and cook for about 2 mins on each side until just cooked through. Warm the satay sauce, if you like.
- Serve the beef skewers on a bed of cucumber slices with the lettuce wedges, spring onions and lime wedges, and a bowl of satay sauce. Griddle or toast the bread to serve warm.
Feature: Kate Moseley. Photos: David Jordan. Props stylist: Rosie Hopper
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.