You can’t beat the taste of barbecued food – why not try something different by making beef skewers with a chilli marinade and serving with Japanese salad made with rice noodles and mangetout.
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 750g (1½lb) rump steak, trimmed of fat and cut into 24 even-sized chunks
- 8 kaffir lime leaves or bay leaves
For the marinade/ salad dressing:
- 1 small red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- Good pinch of golden caster sugar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp lime juice or Japanese rice wine (mirin)
- 4 tbsp peanut oil or rapeseed oil
For the salad:
- 150g (5oz) Thai dried rice noodles (we used Sharwoods)
- 100g (3½oz) mangetout, sliced lengthways into 3 strands
- 8 metal skewers
- To make the marinade/salad dressing: Mix the ingredients together in a jug. Pour half of it into a shallow dish. Add the pieces of steak, coat well and leave to marinate in a cool place for about 30 mins. Set aside the rest of the marinade for the salad dressing.
- To make the salad: Put the noodles into a bowl. Pour over enough boiling water to cover them and leave to soak for 5 mins. Put the mangetout in a bowl and pour boiling water over and leave for 3 mins. Drain and rinse the noodles and mangetout under cold running water. Mix them with the dressing in a bowl.
- Thread a leaf, then 3 pieces of steak, on to each skewer and barbecue or griddle them for about 1 min on each side (so 4 mins in all for medium rare) or until cooked to your liking. Divide the salad between the 4 plates and serve with the skewers.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.