Enjoy the taste of summer fruits by making these berry meringues. Blend raspberries and add to egg whites to create your own meringues. Once baked leave to cool and then top with crème fraîche and cherries.
Prep time: 1 hr
Cooking time: 2 hrs
Total time: 3 hrs
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 100g (3½oz) raspberries
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 3 medium egg whites
- 150g (5oz) caster sugar
For the topping:
- 250g (8oz) cherries, halved and pitted
- 3 tbsp kirsch (or cherry brandy)
- 200ml pot crème fraîche
- 2 baking sheets, lined with baking parchment
- Set the oven to Gas Mark ½ or 120ºC. Put the raspberries into a bowl with the vinegar and blend to a smooth purée with a stick blender.
- Using an electric whisk, whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl until the whites double in volume and form stiff peaks. Keep the whisk running and add the sugar, a tbsp at a time, until all the sugar is used and the whites are glossy. Add the raspberry purée to the mixture and gently fold in to create a marbled effect.
- Using a large serving spoon, place 8 large ovals on to the prepared baking trays. Bake for 2 hours until the meringues are crisp and lift off the paper easily. Leave to cool. (You can store them for up to a week in an airtight container.)
- Put the halved and pitted cherries into a bowl and pour over the kirsch or cherry brandy. Leave to macerate for 1 hour.
- To serve: Spoon a dollop of crème fraîche on to each meringue and top with a few cherries and juice.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.