- 425g can black cherries in syrup
- 250g chocolate finger cakes, or marble cake
- 4 tablespoons kirsch
- 100g bar plain chocolate
- 500g pot vanilla custard
- 284ml pot double cream
- 142ml pot single cream
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Drain the cherries in a sieve over a bowl and reserve the syrup. Set the cherries aside.
- Arrange half the finger cakes in the base of a large trifle bowl, breaking them in half as you put them in. Spoon over 6 tablespoons of cherry syrup and 3 tablespoons kirsch. Scatter half the cherries over.
- Grate about 2 tablespoons chocolate from the bar. Set aside for decoration.
- Melt the rest of the chocolate in a bowl, in the microwave or over a pan of simmering water. Then warm the custard through for a minute until just warmed, stirring half-way through.
- Mix the melted chocolate into the warm custard and beat well. Chill for 10 minutes or longer.
- Whip the double cream and single cream together with the sugar and vanilla, until just thickened. Spoon about a third of the mixture over the cherries. Add the rest of the cake, broken in halves, spoon over 2 more tablespoons of the cherry syrup and 1 tablespoon of kirsch, then add the rest of the cherries.
- Spoon the chocolate custard over, then add spoonfuls of cream on top. Sprinkle with grated chocolate. Chill until ready to serve, if you have time. Not suitable for freezing.
Nutritional information per portion